Thursday, October 25, 2012

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World MOVIE REVIEW

This dramedy about the end of the world is well written, but the two performances from its lead bring it all home.


Seeking a Friend for the End of the World centers on the idea of what would you do if you knew the world was going to end in three weeks.  The movie begins with Dodge (Steve Carell), finding out on the radio that the mission to save the earth from the asteroid headed its way has failed and the asteroid should hit in three weeks.  Phones no longer work with the power to soon follow.  Dodge comes home to find out that his wife has left him and begins to think about his past regrets and wonder what he is going to do with his final days.  He soon meets Penny (Keira Knightley), a neighbor in his apartment building, as she is on the balcony crying.  She had missed the last flight to go home and visit her family and just broke up with her boyfriend.  Dodge invites her in and they begin to talk about each others' past and what they would like to do before the world ends.  They decide to help each other out and go out on an adventure.  Dodge wants to find a girl from his past who got away and Penny wants to see her family one last time.

Carell and Knightley had real good chemistry in this film and I like Carell in this type of role (where he is not over the top).  This was a little different type of role for Knightley, who has been more comfortable in period dramas, but she does do well.  We do have some good cameos here including Connie Britton, Rob Corddry, Melanie Lynskey, and Martin Sheen.  The movie gets off to a funny start, but soon does have pacing issues as the two main characters are on the road and it gets more dramatic.  As we get closer to the ending, it does get emotional as these two develop feelings for each other and again Carell and Knightley are great together.  An underrated movie in my book, but I did enjoy myself.
...AND SIMPLY PUT GO CHECK IT OUT. B-


Cast: Steve Carell, Keira Knightley, Connie Britton, Adam Brody, Rob Corddry, Gillian Jacobs, Derek Luke, Melanie Lynskey, TJ Miller, Mark Moses, Patton Oswalt, William Petersen, Martin Sheen
Director: Lorene Scafaria
Rating: R for language including sexual references, some drug use and brief violence
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is Now Available on BLU-RAY and DVD.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this review! I never got a chance to watch this movie when it was in theaters, so it's definitely nice to hear that it's a pretty good film. I've wanted to see it since then too, so now thankfully I have the time to rent it with my Blockbuster @Home package to watch in the next couple of days. I've always fancied Steve Carell and Knightley to an extent, so it sounds like this will be a movie I will enjoy. I have heard a lot of people I work with at DISH say this movie is predictable and they won't tell me why, so I'm just assuming that's based on the feelings you say Carell and Knightly develop for each other, and the whole end of the world thing, huh? Either way I'm still going to watch it, and I’m actually kind of excited to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was predictable, but with a movie where we know that the end of the world coming and these two are both lonely and vulnerable it's going to be predictable for the most part so I simply looked past that and enjoyed for what it is. Thanks for the comment though and please check out my other reviews as I'm updating regularly with new movie reviews and going back and reviewing older movies as well. Plus I like to hear what other people think so keep commenting.

    ReplyDelete